Grilled Salmon/Traditional Milkshake
By Amy Larson
Wagner’s Grilled Dill Mustard Salmon
2 salmon steaks
3 Tbsp. Wagner’s Dill Mustard™
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. molasses
Alder wood chips (optional)
- Soak alder wood chips for one hour in water. Just before cooking salmon, drain and place in grill on the flame. This gives salmon an unbelievably good smoky flavor!
- Blend mustard, honey, and molasses together in a small bowl. If less sweetness is desired, reduce amount of honey. Brush mixture on salmon, covering completely. Place salmon steaks on aluminum foil and loosely wrap them in it. Poke a few holes in the foil so that the smoke can flavor the fish.
This is absolutely the best salmon we’ve ever had.
NOTE: When I was visiting IDAHO magazine’s publisher, Kitty Fleischman, at the Buy Idaho section of the Canyon County Fair, a neighbor to the IDAHO magazine booth was Wagner’s Idaho Foods, and the Wagners were giving out tasty mustard samples and recipes. After hearing Bob’s descriptions of some of their favorites, it was firmly decided that one of the Wagner food concoction discoveries had to be included on this month’s page. Thank you, Wagners!
Late Summer Traditional Milkshakes
2 c. milk or half and half
1 Tbs. sugar
12 ice cubes
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Chocolate or other flavored syrup,
added as per individual taste
- Fill small, resealable plastic bag with milk or half and half. Stir in teaspoon of sugar. Add vanilla extract to bag, and stir.
- Get a gallon-sized, resealable bag and fill it halfway with ice, then add a teaspoon of salt. Put small, sealed bag into the bigger bag.
- Shake bag enthusiastically for 5-7 minutes. The “tradition” part comes into play when you toss the bag back and forth to a spouse, child, friend, or neighbor. This makes a great picnic or party activity that you’ll want to repeat every year.
NOTE: Not ready to let go of summer, but don’t have any ice cream in the freezer? That’s no problem, and no excuse to be milkshake-less. This recipe will get you happily sippin’ through a straw in no time.
These recipes are brought to you by THE IDAHO DAIRY COUNCIL.
Register & Purchase Purchase Only